TablE of contents
2020 was one of the most challenging years in a long time, it was also the year of learning and change. It’s the year that brought us together like never before.
We’ve all managed to put up a brave fight, and yet, sometimes, it can be really hard to look forward. Especially when uncertainty and doubt continues to loom ahead.
Maybe that’s when we should pause to reflect back.
Sometimes, looking back can help us understand how far we’ve come, and rekindle the hope needed to move forward.
We wanted to reflect back on 2020, highlighting the challenges we faced, and how we got through them with love and support from the community to emerge stronger than ever.
We hope you enjoy reading our year in review!
Being Remote First
- The year when remote work became the norm, and distributed teams emerged as the only way for companies to survive and thrive amidst a global crisis.
- Even traditional businesses realized the importance of pivoting to a scalable, flexible, and remote-friendly way of working. The writing was on the wall – adapt or perish.
- The world also saw consumer behavior shifting suddenly, with a renewed need for trust, value for money and security. Businesses, big or small, started empathizing with the needs and expectations of consumers, and also extended support.
Handling A Crisis
- With businesses getting hit across India, we lost almost two-thirds of our revenue. Worst of all, the worst of the pandemic was still ahead of us.
- Shifting people to a new working model, was the foremost challenge. It was overwhelming as there existed no playbook on how to deal with it.
- During that time, confusion and self-doubt prevailed. But there was only one way – forward. So, we embraced the uncertainty and started re-building the ship with a deeper focus on technology and large scale automation.
- Despite the pandemic halting us in our tracks, we stayed on course and continued to build and focus solely on serving our customers better.
- We opened our tech platform and 5000+ distributed workforce to small and medium scale companies, early-stage startups, and traditional businesses.
- To support these businesses, we reduced the entry barrier, discounted our core offerings, and entirely waived off the platform fee to ensure cost did not become a blocker for businesses who wanted to communicate with customers-partners during disruptive times.
- We shipped remote-first products like Vocalyze, a mobile-app based solution for remote sales and fulfillment teams. We helped legacy sales and fulfilment teams scale their outreach, even during disruptive times.
- Our platform and distributed workforce solution enabled 50+ leading consumer companies like Tata Cliq, Practo, Dr. Vaidya’s, Delhivery and Zestmoney among others were able to scale their outreach, even during disruptive times. to service and connect with 5 million+ unique leads without depending on hiring, training or managing teams in-house.
- Despite the challenges, we continued to expand our presence and eventually, bounced back to reach our pre-COVID revenue, and eventually, achieving 50% MoM growth since Q2. Read more about the impact we created for industries like Edtech and Logistics.
- Our parent entity, SquadStack, raised $5 million in Series A funding. We are fortunate to be backed by some of the best in the business, with the newly added Chiratae Ventures as well as participation from our existing investors including Blume Ventures.
- We also took the next step in our evolution – and rebranded. SquadVoice IN was the first step in our journey, and SquadStack took it one step forward. With a new brand identity in place, we introduced a new way of looking at the world and disrupting it with Humans + A.I.
Keeping Our Calm
- Moving out from the office and into the home wasn’t easy. We ensured everyone had the space and time they needed to adapt.
- We brought mental health issues to the forefront, and made it easier and comfortable to talk about such issues with anyone in the team.
- To tackle mental health issues upfront, we partnered with YourDost – an online counselling and emotional wellness platform.
- We also onboarded Plum – to offer healthcare insurance and benefits to our employees in a time of crisis.
- This year, we were supported by our incredible workforce of thousands of work-from-home moms, housewives, learners- and everyone else who believed in us, even when the chips were down.
- Even when income opportunities were at an all-time low, our community continued their unwavering faith in us and trusted our ability to bounce back. They helped us build, serve and do better without losing track.
- Above profits and products, are people. We are deeply grateful to our team members who’ve worked really hard, fighting through the challenges, braving the uncertainty and yet, helping us end the year on a positive note.
Giving It Back
- We volunteered for the ‘Assam Cares’ initiative led by the government of Assam and positively impacted lives of 1500+ migrant workers by listening to their problems, reassuring and empathizing with them, helping them receive financial aid from the govt.
- When the economy was at a standstill and work opportunities were at an all-time low, we continued to create opportunities for our remote workforce to earn and learn from their home. Since the pandemic, we created 2cr+ worth of income opportunities for them.
- Going forward, we’ll continue to expand our talent pool of remote workers and push forward our vision of a future-of-work platform for India that democratizes opportunity to earn and learn for all.
2020 will go down in history as one of the most challenging years of our time.
And yet, it will also be known as the year that brought us together, in ways we could never imagine.
It wasn’t easy, but here we are – standing against the odds, and looking at the future.
Fighting this crisis can be tough, we’ve been there and felt that. So, if you need any help, feel please free to reach out to us. We’d love to be of assistance to you or your business.
Yes, there are still challenging times ahead, and no, it’s not going to be easy, but with hope and help, together we will get through this.
Here’s to a great 2021!